The former boss of the National Service Secretariat has indicated that he followed due process in the recruitment of the employees who have been sacked from the Secretariat.
A statement from the scheme signed by newly appointed Executive Director, Ussif Mustapha, said there were violations in the process of recruitment.
READ ALSO:
“The management of the National Service Scheme (NSS), has on the advice of the Minister of Education, withdrawn the National Service staff recruitment which was done in December 2016 with immediate effect.
“This decision is informed by a thorough consideration of violations of due process prior to recruitment,” the statement said.
Over 205 workers have been affected by the decision to annul the recruitment.
The statement added that the Public Services Commission (PSC) had earlier warned the former NSS boss, Michael Kpessah-Whyte to halt the recruitment process but he ignored.
But speaking on the matter on Accra-based Joy FM, the former boss of the NSS insisted that the dismissal of the 205 workers who were engaged on December 15, 2016 is illegal.
He explained that before recruitment, he wrote to the PSC in 2015 to request their permission to recruit.
He said he was given clearance to do so after which he wrote to the Finance and Education Ministries all of which were notified and clearance letters granted.
Dr Whyte further explained that since there was no permanent HR at the Secretariat, they were compelled to go for a recruitment agency, Zormelo and Associates, to recruit on behalf of the Secretariat.
He has, however, advised the sacked workers to challenge their dismissal in court.
Meanwhile, the NSS has assured that there would be “a new opportunity to have the staff recruitment properly carried out”.