- Bryant later amended the post, saying that her absence meant "she enjoyed dance more than ball which is fine," and that "Now? She eats sleeps and breathes the game."
- Some fans on social media called out Bryant for the post, but Kobe said he was just trying to explain why the girl wasn't in the picture.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Kobe Bryant is not a fan of participation trophies.
On Tuesday, Bryant shared an image of the fourth-place trophy the youth girls basketball team he coaches won two years ago, writing in the caption that the players all wanted to "throw it away" after their disappointing finish. Bryant told them to keep the trophy as motivation.
On Wednesday Bryant went a step further, sharing an image of the team after winning the trophy. In the original caption that accompanied the post, Bryant wrote "Here's our fourth place "winners" picture lol six of the kids in the picture stayed with me and worked every single day to get better and continue to work to this day. The 7th player (not in pic) missed this game for a dance recital so that should tell you where her focus was at this time."
The original post was screen-grabbed by Sports Illustrated.
Bryant would later amend the caption to be a bit less overtly critical of the player that chose to perform in her dance recital.
"The 7th player (not in pic) missed this game for a dance recital so that should tell you where her focus was at this time, meaning she enjoyed dance more than ball which is fine," Bryant wrote in the new post. "Now? She eats sleeps and breathes the game."
Still, some basketball fans caught Kobe's original caption and took issue with his decision to call out one of his players.
Kobe responded by saying he was just trying to explain why the seventh player wasn't pictured.
Whether you're an NBA teammate of his or a player on his youth basketball team, it appears Bryant expects a full commitment to the Mamba Mentality.
- Read more:
- The sister of NBA star Kawhi Leonard has reportedly been charged with murder in an 84-year-old woman's death
- LeBron James says he was 'literally shedding tears' when he found out that Nike would be naming a new building after him
- Lakers' Alex Caruso received a 'random' drug test after edited gym photos went viral