The Electoral Commission has said that there were some 28,000 persons who were found to have engaged in multiple registration during the just ended Limited Voter Registration exercise.
28,000 people engaged in multiple registration
The EC says while some of these names were accidentally found in the double registrants category most of them deliberately engaged in the act
According to the commission, some persons were found to have deliberately registered twice while others found their names in the double registrants category by accident.
Speaking at a dialogue series dubbed Vote on Issues sponsored by STAR Ghana in Takoradi, the head of Gender and Disability Unit at the Electoral Commission Abigail Amposah Nutakor noted that, "the Commission has set aside all these names found to have deliberately registered twice and will be denied from voting in the November 7 polls".
She said some of those who deliberately registered twice are " habitual double registrants found to have registered in March 2012, 2015 and 2016.
"In 2012, for example, a female had come with short hairstyle with a smiling face, in 2015, she comes with long hairstyle and a frown face, and in 2016 she comes to say she is now 19 years when previously she had registered with age 25. All those persons in this category will be denied and arrested when they attempt to vote in November 7".
Nutakor also added that, those who mistakenly had their names appearing multiple will be put in the "exception list" and will be considered to vote on November 7. She advised people to observe the electoral rules ahead of the November polls and desist from acts that will mare the process.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: