Monkey dies after maggot infestation
Animal lovers claim the monkey could have been saved if the Thane Forest Control Room had acted on advice that they would need specialist equipment earlier.
Rescuers tried to treat the poor animal, but when they finally caught it they found maggots already infesting its wounds and scabs covering its body.
‘The type of injuries the monkey had indicated that some sort of acid or chemical had been thrown on it as its chest was completely burnt,’ vet Deepa Katyal said.
‘Moreover, since the injury was old, maggots had eaten most of the flesh. It had burns on its face and hands as well, which were completely scabbed. The animal was completely dehydrated and in a lot of agony,’ Dr Katyal told local press.
It finally died yesterday after spending four agonising days in the Indian forest in Thane near Mumbai.
As well as being outraged by the attack itself, animal lovers claim the monkey could have been saved if the Thane Forest Control Room had acted on advice that they would need specialist equipment earlier, DNA reported.
"We saw fresh wounds on the monkey but since it was still extremely active and agile, it was difficult to rescue it and we immediately told the control room that we needed experts to rescue it,’ Pawan Sharma, president of Resqink Association for Wildlife Welfare, said.
The monkey was eventually rescued when it was so badly hurt it could no longer move. Pawan Sharma said the forest department should invest in equipment to be able to rescue monkeys.
Read more: American man Photoshopped across the world
‘The human-monkey conflict is only set to increase, but no one seems to be taking this seriously at the moment,’ he said.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: