The national governing body had already announced that head coach Darren Lehmann had not been cleared to travel to New Zealand for the ODI series as he continues his revovery from deep vein thrombosis, but had yet to decide on his temporary replacement.
The decision is a strong vote of confidence for Di Venuto who has overseen Australia during their Twenty20 series against India.
The three-match series has not gone to plan, with the hosts having already lost the series heading into the final match on Sunday in Sydney, losing to the tourists in both Adelaide and Melbourne.
Cricket Australia executive general manager of team performance Pat Howard said there while Di Venuto will oversee the team for the three-game ODI series, Lehmann could still return for the two-Test series which will follow.
"We are still awaiting medical advice on when Darren is able to return to work," said Howard.
"As he is not available for the ODI component of the New Zealand tour we have decided to remain with the current management team that will see Michael Di Venuto serve as acting head coach.
"Once we have all the information about Darren's situation, which is likely to be later this coming week, we will be able to provide a further update."
Speaking to reporters at Sydney airport on Friday, Di Venuto reported that he had spoken to Lehmann and he was in good spirits as he awaited the results of scans.
Australia will take on New Zealand in Auckland (February 3), Wellington (February 6) and Hamilton (February 8) in the ODI series, before two Test matches in Wellington (February 12-16) and Christchurch (20-24 February).