ADVERTISEMENT

3 Ghanaian siblings die after uncle fumigates room against bedbugs

Three siblings have lost their lives at Asawase in the Ashanti Region following the inhalation of insecticide used to fumigate a room against bedbugs.

File photo: Bedbug

Authorities are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, which is believed to have been caused by their exposure to an insecticide used to eradicate bed bugs in their room.

The victims, two of whom succumbed to the toxic effects of the fumigation upon arrival at the hospital, were visiting their 66-year-old grandmother in Asawase for the school holidays. Reports suggest that the tragedy unfolded when the children, along with their grandmother, slept in a room that had been recently fumigated by their uncle, Anthony Frans.

Anthony Frans, responsible for preparing the room for the children's stay, allegedly used an insecticide tablet to disinfect the space against bed bugs. Unfortunately, the unintended consequences of this fumigation led to the untimely death of the three siblings. The grandmother was also affected but was later discharged from the hospital after receiving medical attention.

Frans has been detained in connection with the incident and made his second appearance in court on Tuesday, January 9, 2024. He now faces charges of murder, with prosecutors seeking additional time to conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the tragedy. The court has adjourned the case to January 23, 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT

The community is grappling with shock and grief as the investigation unfolds, and authorities work to piece together the events leading up to the tragic incident. The impact of this fumigation gone awry serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with the improper use of pesticides and the need for stringent safety measures in their application.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.
ADVERTISEMENT

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh

ADVERTISEMENT