The Conference of Heads of Assisted Secondary Schools (CHASS) has received 50% of funds of the free Senior High Schools (SHS) policy, deputy Finance Minister, Abena Osei-Asare has said.

According to her, the government has disbursed funds to allow the smooth implementation of the programme.

She said the Ministry of Finance had finalised preparations to credit the accounts of 647 public SHS adding that the Ministry of Education is yet to provide them with the numbers of students placed in every school.

READ MORE: Shortage of SHS placement cards hits some regions

She said "We have a list of all the 647 schools and all their account numbers…Latest by close of day [Friday] all the schools will be credited with the amounts that they need to roll out the policy."

Speaking to journalists in Accra on Thursday, Mrs Abena Osei-Asare, said GH¢280 million out of the GH¢486 million required for the programme had been released.

She stated that the government was committed to the free SHS policy and would ensure its successful implementation.

"We need your support. Let’s not look at it as a political thing but as social justice…yes the NPP government; President Akuffo Addo will be credited with it but at the same time let us look at the social aspect, and that is, we are giving everybody, not just the rich, the opportunity to get at least, basic education," she added.

READ ALSO: Corrupt CSSPS must be probed - Group

The various SHSs will open on September 11, 2017 and the Free SHS programme will start in September with the first year students in all the high schools in the country.