Some students of Koforidua-based Ghana Senior High School (GHANASS) are currently at the hospital being treated for suspected case of food poisoning.

About 50 students – both male and female complained of stomach aches after eating waakye at school’s canteen on Sunday, and had to be rushed to St. Joseph’s Hospital the next day, Citifmonline reports.

One of the affected students said: “I bought waakye at the bush canteen and in the evening on Sunday, I started running, others who also ate at the dining hall also started complaining of tummy ache so we were rushed here.”

READ ALSO: Police deny food poisoning claim in ... - Pulse.com.gh

Some parents have since rushed to hospital to check on their children.

The Medical Director in charge of the St Joseph’s Hospital, Dr. David Kupualor, has said the facility is trying its best to manage the situation.

“A lot of students were rushed here from Sunday evening and Monday with complaints about stomach aches, clinical research done on them indicated they had diarrhoea so we quickly administered treatment and medication and some are on admission while others have been treated and discharged,” he said.