A block manufacturer, Thomas Kofi Owusu who is facing trial for battering his wife to death with a hoe has said he has not been sleeping since October 30 last year when he allegedly committed the crime.

Thomas Kofi Owusu injured his seven year- old stepson in the course of the incident at Dankyira in the Ga West Municipality.

On August 5 this year when he appeared in court for his case to be heard, Thomas Owusu collapsed and it took the intervention of the Police and court officials to resuscitate him. He was rushed to the hospital soon after the case was adjourned.

READ MORE:Regrettable Error: Pilot quits job to become project manager for his £600,000 househouse

When he appeared before the court on Tuesday, the court presided over by Mr Worlayo Kotoku asked him how he was doing.

On Tuesday, when Owusu appeared before the, he told the judge that “I am unable to sleep after the incident. In fact, I don’t remember the last time that I slept.”

However, Detective Chief Inspector Simon Apiorsornu informed the court that Owusu has been receiving treatment at the Police Hospital.

The court therefore directed the Police to make available Owusu’s medical records to the court.

READ ALSO: Passenger banned from travelling by air

Prosecuting Chief Inspector Apiorsornu prayed the court to adjourn the case because Owusu’s Bill of Indictment was not ready.

Per the Police records, Owusu is alleged to have smashed the heads of the deceased and her son with a hoe several times last year following a misunderstanding. He further allegedly locked the deceased and her injured son in a room and reported himself to the Police at Amasaman.

The 56-year-old is facing charges of murder and causing harm..

Presenting the case to the court, the Prosecution said 40-year-old Faustina Esinu Owusu was the wife of Thomas Owusu and they had been married for the past four years.

READ ALSO: Law student likely to face sanctions for allegedly mocking ISIS

Owusu and Faustina lived at Danchira, near Amanfrom in the Greater Accra Region.

According to the prosecutor, accused and Faustina lived with the victim Benedict Agboada, the son of the deceased and Comfort Akoto, niece of the deceased aged 13 years.

On October 30, last year at about 8:30 pm, Owusu went to Amasaman Police station and reported that he had killed his wife Faustina and injured his stepson Agboada and locked them up in their room.

Prosecution said the Police immediately arrested Owusu and escorted him to his house and found his wife dead in a pool of blood in their living room while his stepson, Agboada was also found lying beside his mother with severe wounds to his head gasping for breath.

According to the Prosecutor, Agboada was rushed to the Amasaman Government Hospital for treatment and later transferred to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital where he is receiving treatment at the Intensive Care Unit.

READ ALSO: Man charged with theft of woman’s ATM card, N184,000, gets N200,000 bail

The Prosecutor said the body of Faustina was initially deposited at the Police Hospital but has since been transferred to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital Morgue awaiting autopsy.

Prosecution said Owusu in his investigation caution statement admitted killing his wife and causing harm to his stepson.

According to the prosecutor, preliminary investigations conducted revealed that on October 30, last year at about 8:00pm while the couple were retiring to bed, a misunderstanding ensued between them in their bedroom.

In the process, prosecution said Owusu pulled deceased from the bedroom to their living room and hit her head with a hoe several times till she fell unconscious and died.

Not satisfied with the act, Owusu hit his stepson’s head with the hoe and he became unconscious.