How to prepare "Agushi" stew
Pulse daily DIY recipe teaches prospective chefs how to prepare healthy, Ghanaian dishes in a simple way.
- whole salted or dried tilapia
- Ground agushi powder
- Tomato paste
- Fresh tomato, diced
- Onion, diced
- Vegetable oil
- Smoked fish
- Salted fish
- Soak salted tilapia in warm water
- Clean the tilapia and cut it into vertical strips
- In a separate bowl, mix in enough water (and a pinch of salt, if desired) to the agushi powder to make it into a paste
- Heat oil in a sauce pan
- Add fish to the pan and lightly brown on both sides before removing fish and setting it aside.
- Add onions to sauce pan and let them brown.
- Add pepper & tomato paste and let cook for 3 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes & 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 3- 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add agushi paste and water to sauce. Cover & simmer for at least 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add fish, stir & simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with rice or boiled plantains.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: