- Short crust pastry
- 250g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 125g of cubed cold butter
- 60ml cold water
- Salt to taste
- 150g of black pudding sausage
- 200g of Chorizo sausage
- 2 finely diced shallots
- 2 chopped yellow peppers
- 40g of fresh thyme
- 2 finely chopped garlic
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl.Add the salt, cubed butter and rub between your fingers till you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Alternatively add the flour , baking powder, salt and butter to a food processor and pulse to a breadcrumb consistency.
- This should take less than a minute. Add the cold water to the flour to form a doughPlease don't overwork the dough. You want it crumbly, crunchy and moist, when cooked.
- Wrap the dough in a cling film and place it in the fridge for about 45min.
- On a floured surface, roll your pastry out and cut into 4 squares.
- Remove the sausages from their skin and finely dice the black puddingPlace the sausages, peppers, shallots, yellow peppers, thyme and garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Leave the mixture for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- You can cut the rolled pastry into squares or circles (using a medium sized bowl to cut into circles).
- Be creative with the filling, use diced potatoes, Kale, Fish, Chicken, Turkey or meat etc (whatever you prefer).
- Place a tablespoon of the filling in the middle of each cut pastry. Pick a corner of the pastry and fold to meet the opposite end.
- Use your thumb or a fork to seal the ends. Use the fork to insert 3 holes on top of each pastry (as shown below). This helps the heat circulate evenly and cooks the filling perfectly.
- Pre heat your oven to 180*c
- Using a silicone baking sheet (alternatively you can grease a baking tray and sprinkle with flour).
- Whisk the egg till well mixed and using a cooking brush, wash the surface with the egg. The egg wash enables the pie to brown beautifully.Bake the pie for about 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with steamed vegetables or mixed onion and tomatoes salad.