Businessman Alfred Woyome has refunded GH¢4 million to state coffers, representing part payment of the GH¢51.2 million he owes the state.
Woyome pays GH¢4m to state
The Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Mrs Marietta Brew Appiah-Opong, said her outfit had so far issued a receipt for the GH¢4 million.
He has also promised to pay the outstanding balance by quarterly instalments of GH¢5 million, beginning from April 1, 2017, the Daily Graphic reports.
She said the GH¢4 million refunded is the reason for her office discontinuing the request for oral examination.
According to her, Mr Woyome’s lawyers had, on November 8, 2016, written to her outfit proposing to pay the outstanding sum by quarterly instalments.
She added that the payment was made on the day she requested for a meeting with Mr Woyome and his lawyer, Mr Ken Anku.
A letter dated November 7, 2016 and signed by a Chief State Attorney, Mrs Dorothy Afriyie-Ansah, has acknowledged receipt of a cheque for GH¢4 million.
Meanwhile, the Supreme Court has adjourned to Tuesday, November 15 to give ruling on former Attorney General Martin Amidu's application seeking to cross examine businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome.
Mr. Martin Amidu has applied to the Supreme Court to allow him examine Businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome over the ₵51m judgment debt paid to him.
According to him, "I have examined the circumstances surrounding the Government’s reluctance to enforce the judgment and orders of the Court with the seriousness which the matter deserves. I share the view expressed by objective and reasonable members of the public that because the Government was the 1st Defendant/Respondent against whom the Supreme Court made declarations of unconstitutional conduct in paying the judgment debt to Alfred Agbesi Woyome the Government has been pretending for purely political reasons at each turn to take steps to enforce the judgment and orders of the Court only to deliberately abort them."
His move follows the decision by the Attorney General to discontinue an oral examination of Mr Woyome despite serving an earlier notice.
Pressure group, OccupyGhana subsequently accused the authorities of not showing commitment to retrieving the monies wrongly paid to the businessman due to the “Notice of Discontinuance”.
Mr Woyome has been in the news since 2012 for allegedly putting in false claims to defraud the state to the tune of GH¢51.2 million, but the High Court and the Court of Appeal have cleared him of any wrongdoing.
However, the Supreme Court has directed him to refund the money, following which the Attorney-General’s office put in processes to recover the money.
The businessman, however, in April 2016 resisted attempts by officials of the Attorney General’s department and the Lands Commission to have access to his Kpehe residence for valuation.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: