At least 2 people are feared dead and many others injured on Wednesday (December 6, 2017) dawn after a raid by unknown gunmen at the Kalampor in the Northern Region.

According to Accra-based Starr FM, the fire exchanges started at 4 am when the gunmen invaded the community and started shooting indiscriminately at people.

At that time Muslims in the community were awake to and preparing for morning prayers.

READ ALSO: Angry parents besiege Kumasi Academy as student death increase to 8

A resident, who gave his name as Mumuni, said he was fleeing the area to Salaga with his wounded colleague.

He said several people were shot and at least two are dead.

He narrated that the gunmen secretly entered the community and targeted the chief’s palace.

READ ALSO: Church Of Pentecost accepts cocoa beans as tithes from cocoa farmers

Many have associated the attack on long-standing chieftaincy feud between the communities. The attack comes as the Kalampor chief who is not recognized by the paramount Kafabar chief was also preparing to celebrate the Damba festival.

In an interview with Accra-based Starr FM, the Northern regional Police PRO ASP Mohammed Yussif Tanko confirmed the incident and said investigations have started.

Last year, gunmen also raided the Kafabar community and opened fire on spectators and merrymakers killing four and injuring more than eight others.