The Food and Drugs Authority said even though they are yet to test the corn dough at the lab, it seems the sudden death was caused by the corn dough which was used for the meal.
The 4 died at Akakpokope, a village in the South Tongu District of the Volta Region after consuming popular delicacy, banku and okro soup.
However, the FDA said even though they are yet to test the corn dough at the lab, it seems the sudden death was caused by the corn dough which was used for the meal.
“A family prepared Banku and soup to eat. Another family took some of the soup, prepared their own banku and ate, the family that cooked the soup and banku originally lost their lives after eating the meal. Obviously, the problem should be with the corn dough used in the preparation of the banku,” Public Relations Officer of the FDA told Accra-based Starr FM.
Reports indicate that the victims belong to two separate families who coincidentally seemed to have eaten the same meal.
The deceased persons are Peace Akapko, 35; Elias Akakpo, 14; Comfort Aryee, 40 and Patience Kwaovi, 10.
The first family of five purchased the dough used in the preparation of their meal from the second family who owned a corn mill shop.
Meanwhile, the assemblyman for the area Cephas Aguadze said the entire community has been thrown into a state of shock.
“The community is shocked to have learnt that the families involved have lost some of their family members because of corn dough. The families bought the corn dough from a miller and not at the market. The miller as we speak is also on admission.”