Organizers of the 'Let My Vote Count' demonstration have said they will embark on another demonstration to present their petition for a new voters register on September 22, 2015.
Pressure groups set September 22 for another demo
A demonstration by the members and supporters of the 'Let My Vote Count Alliance' to drum home the need for a new voters register turned violent. Many people got injured and some were flogged by the police.
A demonstration by the members and supporters of the Alliance to drum home the need for a new voters register turned violent. Many people got injured and some were flogged by the police.
The police claimed the demonstrators violated agreements on the approved routes.
However, Convenor of the Alliance, David Asante has insisted that in spite of the brute force meted out to them by the police, the group is still rallying and coming together to have another demonstration.
“The substance of our activities is the petition we have to present which we could not present. What this means is that we are not done yet. Our position still remains constant, nothing has changed. We are pressing home the demand for a new voters register,” he added.
David Asante had earlier said from the onset the police acted as if they were dealing with a violent crowd.
“The commencement of the programme saw the police rather formed a file leading the demonstrators. I alerted the regional commander and told him this is not the way to go we do not intend making the work of the police difficult neither do we expect the police to ever suppress out desire to exercise that legitimate democratic right.” He said.
He added that the police applied maximum force on a crowd which was not armed.
Meanwhile, the New Patriotic Party has asked the police to punish its personnel that manhandled demonstrators who took part in Wednesday’s demonstration to demand the creation of a new voters’ register.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: