The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has completed investigations into the 6,812 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) results that were withheld after the release of the 2015 results.
BECE candidates results withheld
According to WAEC, there were no outstanding results left with the council, adding that out of the 6,812 results that were withheld
According to WAEC, there were no outstanding results left with the council, adding that out of the 6,812 results that were withheld, 1,800 candidates had their subject results cancelled.
“A few of them had their entire results cancelled because some came to the examination halls with mobile phones, which has the penalty of cancellation of entire results,” a Deputy Registrar and Head of Arts and Science Subjects Department of WAEC, Mr Anthony Kofitse, told the Junior Graphic.
During the release of the BECE results, WAEC said it was withholding the entire results of 6,812 candidates pending the conclusion of investigations into alleged examination malpractice.
A total of 438,047 candidates wrote the 2015 BECE across the country. The number of candidates represents an increase of 15,084 over last year’s figure of 422,946 final-year junior high school (JHS) students who registered for the examination.
Some 13,434 basic schools (public and private) took part in the examination which was written in 1,546 centres across the country.
In the course of the examination, five papers: English Language 2, Religious and Moral Education 2, Integrated Science 2, Social Studies 2 and Mathematics 2 leaked, compelling the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) to cancel them for the candidates to rewrite those subjects.
Meanwhile, registration for the private BECE has begun (on October 1, 2015), to afford candidates who did not perform well to better their grades as well as give opportunity to first-timers. The exercise ends on November 26, 2015.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: