Monies paid by last year's unsuccessful Hajj pilgrims nowhere to be found

“It is condemnable for pilgrims to pay money and be left out and the money cannot be found till today,” the chairman of the Hajj Board has said.

He said that but for the benevolence of the president, the 452 would-be pilgrims, would not have been included in this year’s pilgrimage.

Sheikh I.C. Quaye made this known Tuesday when MTN presented a refurbished Hajj village to the Hajj board.

It will be recalled that the 452 were not able to embark on the previous hajj following the huge growth in pilgrim numbers beyond the quota that was assigned Ghana by the Saudi authorities.

The previous hajj board authorities subsequently promised to give the unsuccessful pilgrims a full refund of their monies to enable them to embark on this year’s Hajj.

However, Sheikh I.C. Quaye said: “It is condemnable for pilgrims to pay money and be left out and the money cannot be found till today.”

The first batch of this year's Hajj pilgrims is expected to be airlifted on August 10, 2017.

They are to pay GHc15,380.80 which is an increase from Ghc11,900 for last year and this is due to the increase of foreign exchange.

The 452 unsuccessful hajj pilgrims are, therefore, expected to pay up the difference of GHc3,380 if they are to make the trip this year.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh