4 dead after allegedly eating poisonous fish

The hospital Administrator, of Margret Marquart Catholic Hospital Hanson Torde said about 10 people from Alavanyo reported to the hospital with stomach upset 2 weeks ago.

The hospital Administrator, Hanson Torde who confirmed this to Accra-based Class FM, said about 10 people from Alavanyo reported to the hospital with stomach upset about 2 weeks ago.

He added that they said the stomach upset started after they consumed a fish they purchased on the market. "3 out of the 10 lost their lives," he stated.

Torde said the hospital had four new cases from Torkor (a fishing community in the Volta Region) with similar symptoms as the previous cases on Wednesday (August 16, 2017).

He told Accra-based Citi FM that the fish is not a common one in the market. The fish which looks like a puffer fish is called “Gedde [in Ewe]” by the local people call.

“It is not a common fish on the market. What the residents told me was that when the fish is captured in the river and hit with a stick, it expands. It is not a normal fish that is sold on the market."

The hospital authorities have since sent samples of the alleged poisonous fish to the Kpando Divisional Police Command.

Other stakeholders including the Medical Director of the area Dr Lucy Hometowu said they are also looking into the situation and residents must not panick.

The hospital has however admitted more than 10 other people who are receiving treatment.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: eyewitness@pulse.com.gh