‘Prophet’ convicted to a fine of GH¢3,120 for stealing

The self acclaimed Prophet took Gh¢540.00 from the complainant who is a trader, to deliver her from evil spirits, but instead escaped with the money.


According to the court presided over by Madam Magdalene Thompson, Nana Yaw who pleaded guilty to stealing, would have to serve seven months jail term in default.

Sergeant Joseph Lartey narrated to the court that the complainant, Akua Fosuwa is a food vendor and lives at Cyanide in Tarkwa and the convict also lives in the same area.

The prosecutor said on September 6 this year, at about 1530 hours, the convict visited the complainant at her home, and while they were interacting, he made her believe that there were some evil forces tormenting her life.


According to Sergeant Joseph Lartey, the convict also convinced the victim that he had seen in the spiritual realm that evil spirits had tied the complainant’s provisions shop with black thread, for which reason she could not make progress in life.

The prosecutor said the convict then promised to deliver the complainant from her problems and he collected GH¢40.00 from her after which he left.

Sergeant Lartey said on September 9, at about 1600 hours, the convict visited the complainant again, while she was preparing for a funeral and requested for a bible from her, and asked her to place any amount of money she could afford in the bible before he could pray for her.

Prosecution said the complainant placed Gh¢500.00 in the bible and handed it over to the convict.


It further said that the convict then asked the complainant to close her eyes so that he would pray for her, which she complied with.

It said in the process of the so-called prayer, the convict removed the money and replaced it with papers and gave the bible back to the complainant after the prayers.

The complainant was shocked when she wanted to settle a debt with the money later that same day, only to realized that it had turned into papers.

Fosuwa then informed her neighbours and they helped search for the convict in the entire community but could not find him.


It was only on September 11, at 1600 hours that Fosuwa spotted on the convict and he tried to escape upon seeing her.

Alarm was raised and the he was chased up and arrested at Bogoso junction and handed over to the Tarkwa police.



Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: