For many followers of pop culture in Africa, Wizkid sits at the top of the music food chain.
The Nigerian superstar has had an incredible career inundated with numerous highs, and very few lows. From his first single ‘Holla at your boy’ in 2010, to his most recent release, ‘Expensive shit’, few would argue, that his catalogue has been one of hits, almost lacking in B-side songs.
But how much do you know this singer is about to be blown to smithereens, as Pulse Music presents major points of Wizkid’s career, way before his name was Wizkid, and Tania Omotayo, his main squeeze.
Here we go:
- Wizkid was born in Surulere, Lagos, from which he has drawn a huge amount of inspiration for his songs. He delved into music at age 11, while learning the ropes under notable producer, OJB
- Wizkid’s debut body of work, was a speculative 7-track mixtape in 2001. He was just a young chap named
- Wizkid got inspired while watching
- Wizkid’s first brush with the limelight occurred when he guested on MI Abaga’s ‘
- Wizkid got signed to
- In mid-2009, Wizkid dropped out Lagos State University (LASU) and focused on his music. He later gained admission to Lead City University in Ibadan, to study International Relations. But after two sessions, he dropped out again.
- In January 2010 Wizkid released his first official single,
- Wizkid dropped his debut album,
- The album features Wande Coal, Banky W and Skales and despite not featuring many top acts, the album was a huge success. ‘Superstar’ won the Album of the year at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards in 2012 while Wizkid also won the Best Pop R n B artiste of the year. He also won the Artiste of the year and Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year at the 2012 edition of Headies.
- Having been elevated to one most sought after acts in the country, Wizkid won the Next Rated Award at the 2011 Headies and the Most Gifted Newcomer Video at the 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards. He soon added the MOBO award for the Best African Act to the list.
- After the success of his ‘Superstar’ album, Wizkid became one of the biggest artistes in the country, performing at major gigs in Nigeria and also embarked on tours outside the country.
- In February 2014, Wizkid took to Twitter and in a series of tweets, expressed his displeasure. His tweets were immediately interpreted in many quarters to be directed at Banky W who days earlier had claimed all was well with him and the singer. Wizkid tweeted
- Wizkid’s 2nd album,
- Wizkid’s personal record label, Star Boy Entertainment, is home to
- In April 2015,
- His most recent success, US superstar,