Wontumi picks NPP chairmanship nomination forms despite 20-year prison sentence
The move comes despite Chairman Wontumi currently serving a 20-year prison sentence following his conviction on six illegal mining-related charges.
In a statement sighted by Pulse Ghana on Friday, August 21, 2026, the Wontumi Campaign Team said the nomination forms had been successfully obtained as part of efforts to complete the formal nomination process.
“The Wontumi Campaign Team has today successfully picked up the nomination forms on behalf of Chairman Bernard Antwi Boasiako (Chairman Wontumi),” the statement said.
“This is simply to formally complete the nomination process on his behalf,” it added.
The campaign team expressed confidence in Wontumi’s bid and called on his supporters to remain committed to his campaign.
“With God and the people behind us, we move,” the statement said.
Wontumi’s 20-year sentence
Chairman Wontumi was sentenced to 20 years in prison by the Accra High Court on July 20, 2026, after being convicted on six charges linked to illegal mining activities on the Samreboi concession in the Western Region.
The court, presided over by Justice Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, also imposed a fine of 10,000 penalty units, with a three-year default prison term to run concurrently with the 20-year sentence.
The charges included assigning mineral rights without the required ministerial approval and intentionally facilitating an unlicensed mining operation, contrary to the Minerals and Mining Act, 2006 (Act 703), as amended.
Wontumi, who is a prominent NPP figure and the party’s immediate past Ashanti Regional Chairman, pleaded not guilty throughout the trial and mounted several legal challenges before the court delivered its judgment.
His decision to proceed with his national chairmanship bid while serving the sentence is expected to generate further discussion within the NPP as the party prepares for its internal elections.